Underwriting Team Lead (Corporate)
Responsible for supporting and supervising the Corporate Underwriting Team. This fast-paced environment requires an energetic and driven individual who is detail-oriented, inspires others, and solution-oriented!
Essential Job Functions
- Directly support and supervise the Corporate Underwriting Team, under the guidance of the Underwriting Manager
- Manage attendance, work assignments, and prioritizations. Monitor underwriting pipelines to ensure parity of work distribution and that daily expected service levels can continue to be met
- Assist in monitoring underwriting loan quality and performance, and participate in the preparation of employee annual reviews and performance plans, as needed
- Perform second level reviews within 24 hours for underwriting escalations or potential adverse action loans
- Assist sales partners with loan scenarios and loan-level urgencies
- When overflow underwriting assistance is needed within the company, underwrite loan files in a timely manner in accordance with company, investor, and agency standards. Ensure compliance with all secondary marketing, government, and investor requirements
- Remain current on knowledge of company loan programs and investor requirements, as well as interpreting and applying required policies and guidelines within regulatory standards
Potential Additional Job Functions
- Facilitate the creation and compilation of the monthly Underwriting Meeting presentations, and elicit input from the UW Manager, Operations Manager, Compliance Manager, and Post-Closing Team Leads. Provide to UW and Operations Manager for review 48 hours prior to the scheduled meeting for feedback and/or changes
- Assist in the training and/or review of files for new underwriters to the company as well as facilitate training, as needed, for the sales partners of Homespire Mortgage Corporation
- Perform research, as needed, regarding new programs and products
- Assist with the loan-level evaluation for the monthly Early Payment Default and FHA Compare Ratio reporting
- Assist with providing guidance to the Post-Closing Team, regarding how best to address certain outstanding conditions
- Assist with other projects, as needed, on an “ad hoc” basis
Education and / or Experience
- 2 years of supervisory experience of underwriters
- FHA Direct Endorsement required (3+ years)
- VA SAR/LAPP Certification required (2+ years)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of FHA/VA/USDA regulations, FNMA/FHLMC, and Investor underwriting guidelines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Extensive knowledge of tax return analysis, credit analysis, loan structure, asset, and collateral review
- Understand risk assessment, and application of compliance and regulatory guidelines (including TRID)
- Knowledge of Automated Underwriting Systems
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Strong proficiency in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and well as paperless underwriting. Knowledge of Encompass a plus
- Detail- oriented/strong organizational skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Homespire Mortgage Corporation provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.